Get Adobe Flash player

The Grand Master’s Palace, the most imposing edifice in the old town, was the headquarters of the leader of the Order of the Knights of Saint John, and at the same time a strong fortress. It was built in the 14th century on the ruins of a Byzantine fort. It consists of two storeys with a large internal courtyard. It was destroyed in the period of Turkish rule and rebuilt in the 1930’s in the magnificent style we see now. Today the Palace (or Castello) is a museum, and its many rooms contain important archaeological finds from ancient and medieval Rhodes. Statues from the Hellenistic and Roman periods, removed from the ancient music school on Kos, stand in the courtyard.